Learn. Experience. Live.
Wanting to deepen your sense of purpose and connection, supported by like-minded people living with clarity and compassion? Curious about life in an intentional spiritual community? Whether you are a student looking for serene housing or an enriching gap year experience, a professional working remotely or commuting into Portland, or a retiree seeking community and purpose, the Ananda Center at Laurelwood residential programs provides an affordable lifestyle integrating meditation, service, and learning.
Karma Yoga Internship experience
- A 2-week to 3-month immersion including daily meditation and reflection circles, weekly classes exploring universal truths, and 16 – 32 hours of service to our retreat and conference center, vegetarian kitchen, small-scale organic farm, and eldercare programs. Certification available in vegetarian cooking and compassion-based eldercare, and professional mentoring available in small-scale organic farming and marketing.
- This is an ideal program for someone seeking to deepen their connection with their inner self, apply that connection through service to the community, and build meaningful relationships founded on mutual support and inspiring ideas. It is also an excellent way to gain hands on experience in a variety of practical skills for exploring potential careers and the nuts and bolts of what it takes to run an intentional community.
Cities of Light residential experience
- The Cities of Light residential experience is a long-term, monthly renewable program for those committed to on-going learning about living with expanded consciousness and uplifted energy, and able to make a meaningful contribution to the health and vitality of our community. This program entails 4 hours of service per week in our kitchen or on a special project, daily group meditation, and attendance at our weekly community gathering. Mentoring is available to new members.
- The application process involves a trial stay of at least three nights in our residential dorm, including attendance at all community meditations, meals, and events, and participation in kitchen service. Approval is based on current resident review. Those who have completed a 3-month internship are eligible to transition directly into the Cities of Light program.
- Current participants in our Cities of Light residential program fund their experience through jobs with local businesses, virtual jobs on-line, and retirement, disability, and/or investment income. The commute to Beaverton, headquarters of a number of large, internationally known companies, is just 30 minutes through beautiful farmland.
The ideal community member is someone who seeks to:
- Contemplate universal truths and verify them through direct experience
- Deepen their connection to their own intuition and inner knowing
- Cultivate their creativity and genuine self-expression
- Broaden their awareness of interconnection
- Open their heart and build relationships founded in empathy, acceptance, and forgiveness
This is a crazy time and place to be alive. Everything is becoming more complex. We work harder to get by, our relationships are becoming increasingly strained, and our systems of education, healthcare, and government are failing. We know something new and better is trying to happen, and that we have an important part to play, but we aren’t clear about what that is or how it all fits together. We can get so sad that we withdraw, or so angry that we take action without clarity or compassion. Sometimes we try to numb ourselves with distractions, but we still feel a sense of momentum pulling us forward. All of our experiences, all of our wounding and our longing, have created an entry point for true transformation because we just can’t continue do to things the way they’ve always been done.
What if each of us embarked on our own hero’s journey, answering that inner call to discover why we are alive in this time and place, and joined forces with like-minded souls to uncover the unique spark we alone can spread? In community, we rub up against our wounding and get triggered, so that we know where we are stuck. We form deep, supportive friendships that mirror our gifts, our wholeness, and our potential so we can move forward. And we work together, using the diversity of our minds, hearts, and wills, to enhance our own experience, solve problems, and create new projects. We explore age-old, time-tested philosophical, practical, scientific methods about how to become present, how to manage our energy, how to connect with the reality beyond ourselves, and how to have an experience of wholeness. And as we put these ideas to the test, we begin to break the hypnotic limitations of our habitual thoughts, feelings, and sense of self, and step outside of the ways we’ve been socialized to be, so that we can experience what’s underneath. Grounded in that incredible sense of infinite peace, love, and wisdom that is our own true self, we are strong enough to face things as they are, overcome our fear, and be guided towards the steps we can take to find our joy and do what we were each uniquely born to do.
Nothing will change in this world until we each expand our awareness by changing from the inside out, and our greatest power in this process is our freedom to choose who and what we surround ourselves with. The communities of the future will not survive unless they are full of the brightest, most generous, and most innovative souls dedicated to meeting the needs of the moment with integrity and authenticity. Come join our efforts to each become our deepest, best selves, so that we can build a truly sustainable future together for the benefit of all humanity.