Our Karma Yoga Internship program is an experiential learning laboratory for anyone wanting to explore life in an intentional community, eco-village, small-scale farm or retreat center based on universal spiritual principles. It’s an ideal opportunity for anyone seeking a summer internship, gap year program, mid-life transition, or lifestyle change.
Are you at a crossroads in your life and looking for a new direction?
- Learn yoga & meditation, vegetarian cooking, organic farming, creative arts, retreat center marketing & administration, compassion-based eldercare or construction & maintenance.
- Experience a simple but abundant life in a supportive, vibrant community, surrounded by peace, kindness and beauty.
- Contribute to a new vision for society based on small communities that value sharing, respect for others and the natural world, a rich inner life, and people more than things.
For more information, contact Nancy Alder, Residential Program Director, at 503-805-7756 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our Living in Community page to learn more about our community philosophy and all of our residential program options.
Program Fee Covers:
- Experience in our vegetarian kitchen and retreat center with options for long-term interns to serve on our organic farm, construction, eldercare, and marketing projects.
- Daily classes on Meditation, Yoga, Sharing Nature, Art, Healing Foods, and more!
- Dormitory-style housing (shared bathroom & private room), including wi-fi. No pets, please.
- Three home-cooked vegetarian meals per day
- Access to 225 acres of rural land, hiking trails and communal spaces for meditation, art, study, exercise and recreation.
- Personalized support in developing spiritual practices, navigating community living and life transitions, creating special projects, and integrating your experience, including assistance with resumes, cover letters, and references.
- Cost of First Timer’s Weekend Meditation Retreat, if one occurs during your stay.
Sample Daily Schedule:
6:30 – 8:00 am Meditation
8:00 – 8:45 am Breakfast (in silence until 8:30)
9:00 – 10:00 am Introductory Class
10:15 – 12:45 pm Service Shift: Tending garden, chickens, and cow
12:45 – 1:30 pm Lunch
1:30 – 4:30 pm Free Time
4:45 – 6:00 pm Yoga
6:00 – 6:30 pm Dinner
6:45 – 8:15 pm Service shift: Kitchen Clean-Up
Interns can choose their start date and arrange a stay of anywhere from 2 weeks to one month. After the first month, internships can be extended by as little as one week at a time, up to a total of 3-months. Interns are expected to attend one group meditation / yoga session a day, all morning classes, and 25 hours of service per week.
The Karma Yoga Internship focuses on integrating the expanded awareness found in spiritual practice into service to our vegetarian kitchen and retreat center. If staffing allows, long-term interns will have the option to develop a special project or expand their service into one of the following program areas:
Organic Farming – Learn about the importance of small-scale organic farming to the sustainability of our communities! Participate in organic vegetable production, chicken & cow rearing, and orchard care on Laurelwood’s farm. Explore permaculture principles at the neighboring Llamas & Niyamas homestead, which raises ducks, chickens, llamas, fruit trees, and vegetables.
Creative Arts – Our Artist in Residence teaches weekly classes for interns and can offer support and guidance for special projects that enhance our community, such as murals, garden sculptures, or graphic art.
Construction & Maintenance – Join our professional crew of builders in construction, remodeling, and maintenance projects to expand, beautify, and improve our existing infrastructure.
Retreat Center Marketing & Administration – Help develop and market our retreat and conference center, as well as our internship and residential programs.
Interns may also apply directly for one of our certification programs:
Vegetarian Cooking – Culinary Certification is available in vegetarian cooking including hands on instruction in nutritional standards, food safety, and various cooking styles and techniques, and plenty of opportunities for creativity and initiative. Learn more about our Culinary Certification program!
ElderCare – The ElderCare Certification program is an ideal way to incorporate spiritual precepts into your caregiving practice or to explore caregiving as a vocation in a supportive learning environment. Join the team of residential caregivers at Ananda House – a full-time internship – and complete the certification program in 1-3 months. Learn more about our ElderCare Certification program!