Immersed in the spiritual community of Ananda Laurelwood, discover the world of peace and harmony within you, nurtured through the daily practice of meditation, energization exercises, service to others, and yoga postures. Our Karma Yoga Internship program creates an environment for you to experience a different way of being. Learn to extend that peace and harmony into your daily activities while helping others, developing friendships, and studying universal truths.
Are you at a crossroads in your life and looking for a new direction?
Explore life in an intentional community, eco-village, small-scale farm, and retreat center based on universal spiritual principles. It’s ideal for anyone seeking a summer internship, gap-year program, mid-life transition, or lifestyle change, to develop healthy habits and routines for a balanced and vibrant life.
Whatever your next step in life, establishing an ongoing meditation and yoga practice gives you access to valuable insights that enrich every aspect of your life – professional, family, social, and spiritual.
Establish habits that will serve you for a lifetime.
- Develop a daily practice of yoga and meditation to deepen your intuition, strengthen your inner guidance, and enhance your innate qualities of peace and joy.
- Learn life skills while helping others, through vegetarian cooking, organic farming, creative arts, retreat center marketing and administration, compassion-based eldercare, construction, and facility maintenance.
- Develop relationships with fellow truth-seekers, making lifelong connections with like‑minded friends.
- Explore universal spiritual principles exemplified in yogic principles, sharing nature, healing foods, and creative solutions to everyday challenges.
- Contribute to a new vision for the world, based on small communities that value a meaningful inner life, simple and abundant living, and a philosophy wherein people are more important than things
- Live surrounded by the beauty and peace of the natural world and the kindness and generosity of the people who have made the Laurelwood community their home.
Would you like to learn more? Call 503-746-6229 or write to email@example.com.
Visit Living in Community to explore our community philosophy and residential programs.
The Karma Yoga Internship provides a sustainable balance between structured hours of helping others and the flexibility of free time for study and creative exploration. Choose your start date and arrange a stay for anywhere from two weeks to three months. We strongly encourage you to begin your internship with a First Timers’ Weekend, which will give you a full introduction into meditation practices and community life. The cost of one First Timers’ Weekend is waived for interns.
Your typical day of community life will look something like this:
6:30 – 8:00 am Meditation
7:00 – 8:45 am Breakfast (in silence until 8:30)
9:00 – 12:45 pm Service shift or free time
12:15 – 12:45 pm Midday meditation
12:45 – 1:30 pm Lunch
1:30 – 2:30 pm Class Time
3:30 – 6:00 pm Service shift or free time
4:30 – 6:15 pm Yoga & meditation
6:00 – 6:30 pm Dinner
6:45 – 8:15 pm Service shift or free time
7:30 – 9:00 pm Evening class or activity
Interns agree to attend one group meditation or yoga session each day, all intern classes, and 25 hours of helping others each week.
Learn life skills while incorporating universal spiritual principles into your everyday life.
Vegetarian Cooking – Our talented chefs create an atmosphere of nourishing joy, which they infuse into the delicious meals that emerge from Grace three times a day. Work alongside our chefs and learn to prepare nutritious, varied, vegetarian and vegan dishes, incorporating nuts, seeds, legumes, and other rich sources of healthy proteins and dairy substitutes.
Organic Gardening – Learn the importance of small-scale organic farming to the sustainability of our communities. Participate in organic vegetable production, animal husbandry, and orchard care.
Compassionate ElderCare – The ElderCare Certification program is an ideal way to incorporate spiritual precepts into your caregiving practice or to explore caregiving as a vocation, in a supportive learning environment. Join the team of residential caregivers at Ananda House and complete the certification program in one to three months.
Retreat Center Hospitality and Marketing – Help develop and market our retreat and conference center, as well as our internship and residential programs. Explore the fine art of managing guest facilities and attending to guest needs and requests, creating a welcoming and supportive atmosphere for all visitors.
Buildings & Grounds – Join our professional crew of builders and landscapers in construction, remodeling, and maintenance projects to expand, beautify, and improve our existing infrastructure.
Creative Arts – Explore our Artist in Residence program, offering weekly classes for interns, guided studio time, and support for special projects that enhance our community, such as murals, garden sculptures, or graphic art.
Fees for the Karma Yoga Internship include:
- Experience in developing life skills in cooking, construction, maintenance, hospitality trades
- Daily classes on meditation, yoga, universal truths, and yogic principles
- Three delicious vegetarian meals each day
- Dormitory-style housing with shared bedroom, two twin beds, and bathroom down the hall. No pets, please. Private rooms are available for a higher monthly fee
- All utilities and reliable wifi included
- Access to 225 acres of rural land, hiking trails, and communal spaces for meditation, art, study, exercise, and recreation
- Personalized support in developing spiritual practices, navigating community living and life transitions, creating special projects, and integrating your experience
- Cost of First Timers’ Weekend, if one occurs during your stay