Greetings from Ananda Center at Laurelwood! We look forward to having you here with us soon. We’re here to serve you and want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible on all levels. Please read the important information below about the logistics of staying at Laurelwood. If you have a question that isn’t answered here, contact us at email@example.com or 503-746-6229 .
If you are coming for a Personal Retreat, please contact us in advance to tell us when you plan to arrive. We would like to greet you, check you in and get you oriented to our campus. If there is only one (or a few) guest(s) arriving on a particular day, it frees us up to do other things instead of waiting for several hours for you to arrive. If you will be arriving earlier or later than planned, please notify the Guest Services office at 503-746-6229.
Check-in is between 3:30 and 6:00 pm in Harmony Hall at the foyer Guest Registration desk (enter through the Green Hill Café and follow signs upstairs). Your room will be available by 3:30 pm. If you come before then, feel free to relax, walk, enjoy the grounds or a cup of tea in the Greenhill Café until your room is ready.
Check in early and enjoy afternoon yoga from 4:30-6:00 pm (Mon, Wed & Fri). (If not arriving on these days, please let us know well in advance if you are interested in afternoon yoga on your check-in day and we will do our best to accommodate you).
Check-in closes at 6:00 pm. If you will be arriving late, please call us with an anticipated time, and someone will meet you in the Green Hill Café or give you alternate instructions.
Check-out time is 11:00 am, but you are paid through lunch and may stay on the grounds through that time. You may leave your luggage at the Guest Services Office or move it to your car. Please strip your bed and put the dirty linens, towels and washcloths in the blue IKEA bag that is in your closet, and then put the bag in the hallway outside your room. Leave the blanket, bed cover and decorated pillow cases on the stripped down bed.
Program prices are typically all-inclusive and cover overnight lodging, three vegetarian meals per day, all classes, and activities. Some programs may offer a “Day Only” option that does not include overnight lodging, breakfast or dinner. “Day Only” guests may purchase additional meals as needed. Breakfast is $5 and dinner is $10 when purchased “a la carte”.
Daily schedule: Your daily schedule is listed on the web page for the program you are attending.
Meals: Breakfast 8:00–9:00 am*
Lunch 12:45pm-1:30 pm
Dinner 6:00pm-7:00 pm
*We observe breakfast in silence from 8:00 am-8:30 am
All meals are vegetarian. Gluten-free and vegan options are available at every meal. If you have any other special dietary needs that you did not specify in your registration, please email us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Community Kitchen: You can store and prepare your own food in our Community Kitchen if our cafeteria is unable to accommodate your special dietary needs. You may store and eat prepared meats (canned tuna fish, deli meats, etc.) in the Community Kitchen. However, cooking meat in the Community Kitchen is not allowed. You are expected to clean up after yourself if you use the Community Kitchen. We do not discount our lodging rates if you bring your own food or if you choose to fast during your stay.
Payment: If you have a balance due on your reservation, you may pay on arrival by cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover). You can also make boutique or additional meal purchases by cash, check or credit card.
Travel Insurance: It happens on occasion that we need to cancel a program. We recommend that you purchase travel insurance if you are buying airline tickets. On those occasions when we must cancel a class, we will let you know as soon as possible, and discuss the options available to you. In such an instance, if you do not come, we will refund your deposit in full. We cannot be held responsible for travel costs.
Cancellation Policy: See our “Terms & Conditions” page at:
What to Bring:
- Flashlight, travel clock, toiletries, slippers or slip-on shoes.
- In the summer, bring a water bottle or canteen and a sunhat or sunscreen.
- In the winter, boots and rain gear are nice for walking or hiking on trails.
- Optional: camera, CD/mp3 player (headphones required). Henry Haag Lake is a 15-minute drive from Laurelwood; in summer you might want to bring swimsuit and towel.
- Dress for comfort. The weather is usually pleasant, although it can be cool and rainy in winter or hot and dry in summer. It helps to dress in layers. Comfortable, loose-fitting clothing (e.g., sweats) is best for yoga postures and meditation. Summer evenings can be cool, so bring a jacket or sweater. From October through May, bring rain gear and/or an umbrella.
- Bring sturdy, comfortable walking shoes. We remove our shoes upon entering meditation rooms, chapels and most classrooms, so it’s convenient to bring shoes that are easy to take off and put on (e.g., Birkenstock-style or clogs). Sandals are ideal in the summer; in the winter, bring waterproof shoes for outdoors and warm slippers for indoors.
- Bed linens, towels and washcloths are provided, but you should bring your own soap, shampoo and other toiletries.
Camping: We have a limited number of tent and RV camping spaces available. We do not have water or electrical hookups or an RV waste disposal station. You will have to walk to one of the campus buildings to use a bathroom or shower if your RV or trailer doesn’t have them. Tent campers must provide their own tent, sleeping pad and rain fly, as well as a pillow, towel, and bedding.
If you forget something, you’ll find flashlights, cards, toiletries, and other personal items in the Laurelwood Boutique or in stores in nearby Gaston or Forest Grove.
Dress & Behavior:
Ananda Center at Laurelwood is a retreat center and spiritual community based on yogic principals. Thank you for helping us preserve the peace and quiet of our facility. Please be respectful of other guests and observe these guidelines:
- Dress modestly: No revealing clothing; shorts should be medium-length (or longer); if you wear leotards or leggings (except in yoga or other movement classes) please wear cover-ups (a wrap, sarong, sweatpants, etc.). Men must wear shirts at all times. Shoes are required in the cafeteria and dining area.
- Tobacco is not permitted on the campus. This includes e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products.
- Guests who snore should reserve a private room unless they are coming with a roommate who doesn’t mind. Guests who reserve a shared room and have to be relocated because of snoring will have to pay for an upgrade to a private room.
- Burning candles, incense, or fire of any kind is prohibited—indoors or outdoors—unless supervised by program staff.
- Music may be played or performed only in places, times & ways that do not impact other guests.
- Alcohol and other drugs (except prescription medicines) are prohibited on campus. This includes recreational marijuana use.
- Strong fragrances: Some of our guests are sensitive to strong odors. Please do not use perfumes, strongly-scented toiletries, lotions, oils or cleaning products.
- Pets are not allowed except for service/companion/support animals.
For the full details of our campus policies, see the “Terms & Conditions” page at:
Phones & Computers:
Emergency messages: Friends and family can call or leave a voice message for you at 503-746-6229 or email you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cell phone service: The rural area around Laurelwood is served by Verizon and AT&T (and their resellers). 4G data service is available. If you use another carrier, you will probably not have reception. If you have a smartphone, you may be able to make wi-fi calls even if you do not have regular cell service. There is also a land line phone available for outgoing calls within the USA. Please ask at the front desk if you need to use the land line.
Computers: Guests who bring laptop or tablet computers have free wi-fi access from their rooms. There is also wi-fi access in the Green Hill Café and in the classrooms in Expansion Hall.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please feel free to email or call us at: email@example.com or 503-746-6229
The Ananda Laurelwood Guest Services staff
Miriam, David, and Stephen